I have an idea! Lets put a bunch of wheels on the bottom of our kid’s feet and see what happens. It’ll be great! It may seem like a crazy notion but you’ve got to admit it is definitely fun.
Not all roller skates are created equal. Finding the best roller skates for kids is an important first step in putting those wheels on the bottoms of your child’s feet.
How do I choose the right roller skates for my child?
Choosing a roller skate in the proper size for your child is one of the most important steps in the buying process. A properly fitted skate will provide your child with comfort, stability, and support. A skate that is too small can lead to painful blisters and sore feet. A skate that is too large can lead to accidents and ankle injuries. Generally, skates are designed to fit in the same manner as a shoe size.
There are a few tips to ensure that the roller skates are a good fit for your child. Have your child put the skates on. They may feel a bit snug to them at first but this is normal. Have them stand and then check their toes. If they are barely touching the front of the skate then they are a good fit. Check the room behind the heel by having them kick their foot forward. There should be a small space left behind their heel.
We all know how fast kids grow. They didn’t come up with the phrase ‘Growing like a weed’ for nothing! Fortunately, some roller skate styles have the ability to be adjusted to your child’s feet. These types of skates can be made smaller or larger by up to four sizes with the push of a button. This enables your skates to grow with your child. They are also ideal if you have more than one child sharing the same pair of skates.
Style can include the skate boot shape, colors, strapping system, and even LED lights.
Some roller skates are styled with a high-top boot. This can be especially useful for keeping the ankles secure and stable. Another factor to consider is the strapping system. Some skates come with standard lace-up ties while others use a buckle or velcro system. The buckle system is ideal for younger children who have yet to master the art of tying up their laces properly.
The best roller skates for kids can be constructed in a variety of manners. There are adjustable, lightweight, plastic styled skates that are designed for toddlers. On the other spectrum, there are roller skates that are designed for the more experienced skater. These skates will have a sturdier constructed base plate, strong outer shell, and padded inner lining that can handle vigorous skating and tricks while providing stability and comfort.
The types of wheels your child’s roller skates have is another important factor to consider. Plastic wheels may be just fine for a toddler who is just learning the art of skating but a very bad idea for the older child who plans on speeding around the rink. Sturdier wheels are generally made of a urethane material. This particular material supersedes plastic and rubber due to its durability and its ability to be non-abrasive and non-marking. You’ll also want to check the type of bearings the wheels have. Bearings help the wheels to move freely and smoothly. When it comes to ratings on a bearing, the higher ABEC rating the better.
The stopper on a roller skate is made of a firm rubber material and is placed on either the front of the skate or at the heel. It is used to stop or slow down the momentum of the roller skater by either pointing down the toe or kicking back the heel. Making sure that your child’s skates come equipped with a stopper is an important step in their safety. This is especially important for beginner skaters who haven’t learned the skill of stopping their skates any other way.
Our top picks for the best roller skates for kids
Sizing: Small to extra large
Adjustability: Adjustable to three sizes
Construction: Reinforced nylon frame, rear stoppers
An inline skate that is designed to grow as your child does. The High Bounce Skate (check price on Amazon) is constructed of a reinforced nylon frame and rides smoothly on gel wheels. The skates are available in pink or blue with black fashion designs, have a rear stopper, a simple buckle strap, and a rear loop for easy carrying.
What we love
- The skate is secured with a buckle style. This means that there will be no risk of laces coming undone while skating.
- They can be adjusted to up to three sizes. Not only can it grow with your child but can also be useful when there is more than one child using the skates.
- Kids that are used to using roller skates with a front stopper may need some time to readjust to the rear stopper on these inline skates.
Sizing: 1 to Jr 13
Construction: Aluminum base plate, stoppers
Wheels: Urethane wheels, semi-precision bearings
The Chicago Boy’s Skate (check price on Amazon) is designed in the classic roller rink style with its black vinyl boots and red wheels. The high-top profile provides support to the ankles while the eyelet hook lacing systems ensures that the foot is secure and comfortable.
What we love
- The aluminum base plate has an adjustable truck that will give your son more control while skating
- The Skates are true to size so there will be no guessing on your child’s skate size.
- These skates have the traditional lacing system. You may want to double-check that they are secure after your child laces them.
Best budget buy
Sizing: l to medium
Adjustability: Four-size adjustable
Construction: Two-piece boot, breathable nylon inner boot, padded collar, built-in toe brakes
Wheels: 60 mm composite wheels, 608ZB semi-precision speed bearings
A beginner quad skate that is adjustable within four sizes with the push of a button. The Chicago Quad Roller Skates (check price on Amazon) have a high-top silhouette and two-piece boot construction, providing stability and durability. The breathable nylon mesh and padded collar are designed to provide your child with optimal comfort.
What we love
- This quad skate has a multi-adjust boot that can be easily adjusted to grow with your child.
- Securing the skate in place will be easier for young children with the two micro ratchet buckles.
- These skates are designed for young, beginning skaters. If you have an older child, you may want to make sure of the sizing.
Best for beginners
Sizing: Sizes 1 to 4
Adjustability: Adjustable to 4 sizes. Adjustable from trainer to inline
Construction: Plastic, Micro ratchet buckles
Wheels: 64 mm wheels, 608z bearings
These training skates (check price on Amazon) are ideal for those beginner skaters. Your child can start off using the trainer wheels and then move on to inline wheels. They are also adjustable to your child as they grow. The Chicago Boys Skate Combo conveniently comes with a helmet, knee pads, wrist pads, and backpack.
What we love
- Not only can these skates grow with your child but they can also teach your child how to go from being a beginner skater to an inline skater.
- These skates come with the protective gear your child needs to skate safely.
- The skates do not come equipped with stoppers.
Best for girls
Sizing Sizes: 1 to Jr13
Construction: Nylon base plate Strong outer shell, Toe and heel protector strip, Padded inner lining, Stopper
Wheels: Urethane, Free rolling ABEC bearings
The Lenexu skates (check price on eBay) have colorful urethane wheels with ABEC 5 bearings to provide a smooth and balanced glide on any surface. The skate boot is designed in a durable and long-lasting outer shell with an added strip on the toe and heel to prevent extra wear and tear.
What we love
- The construction of the skate boots is made with durability in mind. Between the tough outer shell and toe and heel strip, you won’t have to worry about replacing the skates anytime soon.
- Girls will love the colorful wheels and toe stopper, side flower pattern, and choice of colors.
- These roller skates are not adjustable so you will want to make sure of the correct sizing before making your purchase.
Sizing: Sizes 1 to 13J
Construction: Lightweight torsion beam chasis plates, Laces and upper velcro strap, Fixed Stoppers
Wheels: Lighted 54 mm cast urethane wheels, 608Z excellerator bearings
Lightweight roller skates ideal for beginning skaters. The black, gray, and yellow design of the skates, sporty profile, and light up wheels will make any child feel that they are the skating master. The Pacer Comet skates (check price on Sears ) are constructed with lightweight torsion chassis beam plates and have 54 mm wheels.
What we love
- The four outside wheels are lighted, making these skates ideal for evening outdoor play.
- The skate boots have both laces and an upper Velcro strap for extra support.
- The skates are designed in unisex sizes so you may want to get them one size larger than your child’s shoe size.
Best for toddlers
Sizing: Sizes 6 to 12
Construction: Plastic, Velcro straps, Padded, Front Stoppers
Wheels: Quad wheels
The Grow With Me Skates (check price on Amazon) are the perfect skate for those little ones to learn the art of skating. They have a three-level system that enables your child to walk-skate, only roll forward, or roll forward and backward. They can also be adjusted to grow with your child.
What we love
- The three stages of these skates make them ideal for your little one just learning to skate.
- The skates are adjustable so you can easily adjust them according to your child’s growth.
- Once your child has mastered the art of skating you will want to make sure the skates do not accidentally get switched to a wheel locked position.
Best roller shoes
Sizing: Sizes 1 to 13 Little kids, Sizes 3.5 to 6.5 Big kids
Construction: Fabric, Rubber, Plastic
Wheels: Two wheels (one removable wheel)
The Nsasy roller shoes (check price on Amazon) come in a vast variety of colors that are apt to suit any child’s personality. They are designed with breathable fabric, wear-resistant rubber soles, and have LED lighting that flashes as your child walks. They can be worn as a shoe, with one wheel, and with two wheels.
What we love
- These versatile roller skates can be worn as either a skate or a shoe.
- Kids who love to make a statement will get a kick out of the LED lighting. Parents will love them as a good safety measure.
- If your child plans on wearing these as a shoe on a daily basis, you may want to beware of the possibility that they may switch to roller mode at any given moment.
Best for boys
Sizing: Sizes 12 to 2, Sizes 3 to 6
Adjustability: Adjustable to four sizes
Construction: Reinforced polymer frame, Molded shell, Hinged cuff
Wheels: 54 mm cast polyurethane wheels, 608zb carbon bearings
The Grow With Me Skates (check price on Walmart) are the perfect skate for those little ones to learn the art of skating. They have a three-level system that enables your child to walk-skate, only roll forward, or roll forward and backward. They can also be adjusted to grow with your child.
What They’ll Love:
- The roller skates have a washable comfort liner so you won’t have to deal with that ‘sneaker smell’.
- The cam lever buckles make it easy for kids to adjust and tighten their skates without assistance.
Our Top Pick…
While many of the roller skates that we reviewed had certain perks and positive aspects about them that we felt made them a good skate, the High Bounce Adjustable Inline Skate (check price on Amazon) fit the bill on everything we were looking for. Designed with both boys and girls in mind, highly fashionable, with an easy buckle strapping system, and fully adjustable to within three sizes. These were all appealing aspects that drew our attention to this particular skate.