The Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump is popular, no doubt.
But does it live up to all the hype?
In this review, we’ll take a look at its key features and see how it stacks up against other top breast pumps on the market.
Let’s dive straight in.
The Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump (check price on Amazon) is an electric pump that’s both lightweight and portable, making it ideal for when you have to be away from your little one.
It has a Proven Airlock Protection closed system that prevents bacteria from contaminating breast milk, and includes a dual Hygienikit Milk Collection System.
Its adjustable suction and speed feature is designed for maximum milk flow while making the pumping experience as comfortable as possible for new moms.
Included with Kit:
- Electric pump system
- Dual Hygiene Kit Milk Collection System
- AC adaptor
- Battery pack
- Shoulder carrying bag
- Cool’n’Carry milk tote bag
- 3 ice packs
- 4 collection bottles with lids
What we love
- Adjustable speed and suction enable mom to pump breast milk more comfortably and naturally
- Mom’s can pump either one or both breasts
- The unit is easier to clean than other models
- The suctioning action of the system could use some improvement
- The pumping system is can sound louder than desired
- Closed-pump system: The Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump uses a closed-pump system. Includes Proven Airlock Protection, helping keep breast milk safe from possible bacteria, mold, and virus contamination.
- Portable & lightweight: This unit can easily be taken wherever mom needs to go. It comes with both a shoulder bag and a tote bag cooler, extra ice packs, and 2 built-in bottle holders. It can also be used on the go with its (included) battery pack.
- Versatile pumping: The unit can be used as either a single or double pumping unit. It also has controls for adjusting the pumping phases, speed, and suction to ensure you get the most comfortable pumping experience for your body.
- BPA and DEHP-free: The plastics in this system do not contain BPA or DEHP, which are harmful chemicals found in some plastics.
- Easy to operate: The Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump comes with easy-to-understand instructions and is simple to operate — a relief when dealing with all the other stuff to consider with a new baby in the home!
- Easy to clean: You’ll also be relieved to discover that it’s easy to clean. The pump is a closed pumping system, which is much easier to clean than an open one. This keeps the breast milk separated from outside air, preventing it from flowing into the tubing. This means less cleanup during routine maintenance.
Comparing the competition
How does the Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump compare to other leading brands?
Both brands can be used as either a single or double breast pump with both having a closed system.
While the Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump is portable with its carrying bag, cooler, ice packs, and battery pack, the Spectra S2 (check price on Amazon) isn’t.
With this in mind, if you’re planning on using a breast pumping system away from home regularly, you may be better off with the Ameda unit.
Both pumps are fairly similar in what they have to offer. They’re both easily portable and come with everything needed for traveling.
The main difference between them is that the Medela Pump (check price on Amazon) is an open system, while the Ameda’s is closed.
If bacteria contamination is a concern for you, then the Ameda is the better option.
The Freemie Freedom (check price on Amazon) is a great alternative to the Ameda if you do a lot of hands-free breast pumping, or you’re in a workplace where you feel uncomfortable.
It has concealable breastmilk containers that fit inside a bra, so you can easily pump while remaining completely covered.
Who should buy an Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump?
The Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump (check price on Amazon) is ideal if you need a system you can easily take with you while on the go.
The travel bag, cooler, ice packs, and extra bottles make it as simple to take with you as a diaper bag. While you’ll need to purchase a car adaptor separately, it comes equipped with its own battery pack.
This unit is also an excellent buy if you prefer a closed system. Keeping bacteria and other harmful substances away from little ones is usually a chore in itself.
Using this system gives you one less thing to worry about when considering your child’s hygiene.
It’s also ideal if you’re looking for a less expensive double breast pump that gets the job done.
While less powerful than some of the more expensive models, its reasonable price, phase pumping, speed, and suction-adjusting features, make it a good investment if you’re looking for a reliable, middle-of-the-road pumping system.