When deciding between the Solly Baby and the Happy Baby wraps, knowing the facts is key. Both of these products are made by trusted manufacturers and are highly rated, but choosing the right one for you is a matter of details.
I took a look at both wraps to help you decide which one is best for you and your baby.
In this article:
Side by side comparison
There’s not much in it, but the devil is in the detail. So look closely…
|Solly Baby||Happy Baby|
|Price:||Check price||Check price|
|Weight Limit:||First year or up to 25 lbs||First year or up to 25 lbs|
|Material:||100% certified Lenzing modal||75% bamboo viscose, 25% organic cotton|
|Washing Instructions:||Machine wash in cold water on delicate cycle, low heat tumble dry||Machine wash cold with like colors, lay flat to dry|
|Certified Hip Healthy:||✓||✓|
Solly Baby Wrap: A quick overview
- Available in original and petite lengths
- Perfect for use with newborns and babies for which Kangaroo Care has been recommended
- Made from soft, lightweight Modal fabric which gets softer with every wash
- Folds and fits easily into nearly any diaper bag
What the Solly Baby Wrap does better than the Happy Baby Wrap
- Original and petite lengths: While a lot of wraps are one size fits all, Solly Baby offers their super-soft wraps in two sizes. Some can be too long for petite moms, leaving them feeling overly bundled up when using their wrap carriers. Solly’s petite wrap is a great remedy for this problem. The shorter length allows smaller wearers to securely hold baby without sacrificing comfort.
- Modal fabric: Super soft and cozy, the Modal fabric used for these wraps is made from sustainably grown Austrian beechwood trees, which makes it an environmentally friendly alternative to some hard plastic carriers that can break and have pieces which can pinch, poke and otherwise annoy baby. The fabric gets softer with every wash, keeping both you and baby comfortable. It’s also very breathable and ideal on a hot day.
- Compact and easy to store: Storing a wrap carrier can feel like folding a fitted sheet – impossible. Not so with the Solly Baby, which folds neatly into a pouch at one end of the wrap and will fit easily into most diaper bags. Storing it this way prevents it from becoming tangled, stained or wrinkled when not being worn.
- Great for kangaroo care: Solly Baby can be used with newborns, and is great for babies who need Kangaroo Care, which involves maintaining as much skin to skin contact with mom as possible. It’s important to take care that the TICKS method is always used, especially in babies under 8 lbs — airways must be clear at all times.
Solly Baby instructional video
Happy Baby Wrap: A quick overview
- 4.5 meter one size fits all length good for plus size wearers
- Made from naturally hypoallergenic and antibacterial viscose bamboo
- Uses safe, non-toxic dyes
- Material is breathable and has moisture-wicking capabilities
Related: How To Make Your Own Baby Carrier
What the Happy Baby Wrap does better than the Solly Baby Wrap
- Long length good for larger wearers: Anyone who is taller or larger can appreciate a wrap that leaves them enough fabric to feel like they’re carrying baby safely. The Happy Baby Wrap is one size fits all, but its 4.5 meter length makes it a versatile choice for bigger parents or for mom and dad to share. The wrap is stretchy, so mom and baby both stay comfortable.
- Naturally hypoallergenic and antibacterial material: This one is a head-turner. These aren’t qualities we typically hear about in baby wraps, but the viscose bamboo used to make Happy Baby Wraps is both hypoallergenic and antibacterial in addition to offering UV protection. This means that both babies and moms with allergies are protected, and the wrap doesn’t absorb nasty bacteria it might come into contact with in germy public areas. The fabric is comparable to cashmere in softness, but is also machine washable – though needs to air-dry flat.
- Uses safe, non-toxic dyes: Happy Baby Wraps come in 12 different fun colors and patterns, and parents can rest assured that they’re made with safe and non-toxic dyes. Not only is that great for sensitive newborn skin (and for babies who put their mouths on everything), but moms with sensitive skin will also benefit.
- Material is breathable with moisture wicking capabilities: The viscose bamboo fabric of a Happy Baby Wrap has moisture wicking capabilities, keeping both you and baby free from uncomfortable sweat. This also protects baby from painful rashes caused by prolonged skin contact with damp fabrics. Keeping baby cool and comfortable plays a big part in a successful summer outing. When baby sweats, mom gets soaked, so fabrics that keep you both dry are ideal.
Happy Baby instructional video
Which one is right for you?
Now that you have the facts, it’s time to make a decision. The Solly Baby (check price on SollyBaby.com) wrap has super-soft fabric, is available in petite length, and stores neatly and easily; while the Happy Baby wrap is longer than average with hypoallergenic and antibacterial material that offers UV protection.
I rated the Happy Baby (check price on Amazon) higher because I love that the material is safe for babies with allergies and helps shield against sickness — plus, I love the cute, bright prints. The right wrap for you is the one that fits the needs of you and your baby, and now you’re geared up with the info to choose.