* Deals hand picked by WeTheParents editors
In this guide:
Parents know and trust Baby K’tan and Moby products, but many find themselves at odds when deciding between the Baby K’tan Original wrap and the Moby Evolution wrap.
If you’re picking between these two products, knowing the facts makes all the difference – while they have similar functionality, there are some practical differences you should know about. I’ve taken an eagle-eyed look at both these wraps to help you pick the best one for your brood.
Side by Side Comparison
|Baby K’tan Original||Moby Evolution Wrap|
|Price||Check price||Check price|
|Weight Limit||8 - 33 lbs||8 - 33 lbs|
|Carrying Positions||Newborn carry, front inward facing carry, front side facing carry, front outward facing carry, hip carry||Newborn carry, front inward facing carry, hip carry|
|Materials:||100% cotton||70% viscose fibers, 30% cotton|
|Washing Instructions:||Wash separately before first use; machine wash in cold water with like colors only and tumble dry on low||Machine wash in cold water on normal cycle, tumble dry on low heat; Do not iron, bleach or professionally dry clean|
|Manufactured In:||China and Guatemala||China|
|Size Options:||XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL||One size fits all|
Baby K'tan Original(A Mini Overview)
The Baby K’tan Original (check price on Amazon) is a popular choice among moms because it offers a nice variety of size options. With sizes ranging from XXS – XL, parents are able to find an ideal fit for their body, which is an essential part of wearing your baby ergonomically.
The wrap has two parts: a large double loop of fabric secured in the middle(think butterfly wings), and a sash that offers extra support around the waist. The sash converts into a carry bag which the rest of the wrap stores in easily when not in use. The carrier offers front inward and outward facing carries, front side carry and hip carry, and accommodates newborns safely and easily.
- The range of sizes ensures you’re getting the best possible fit for your body
- The unique double loop and sash design makes wearing easy, no struggling with a longer wrap
- Offers front outward facing carry, which moms and babies often prefer as baby gets bigger
- Has a convenient store and carry bag to make transporting the wrap when not in use simple
- Choosing one size means it’s hard to share the carrier between parents and other caregivers
- Sizes can run a little small, so be sure to choose the larger option if you’re not sure
- Very tall or short wearers may have difficulty with the sizing
- Wide Range of Sizes
Carrying your baby with a wrap that fits your body well is essential to both your baby’s safety and your comfort. The Baby K’tan Original wrap is available in six sizes, from XXS to XL. This means most parents can find a carrier that fits them comfortably that’s easy to use and feels right every time instead of having to find the sweet spot with a longer fabric wrap.
- Easy to Use Design
The double loop and sash design of this wrap makes it a lot easier to learn than a long fabric wrap. It still takes time to figure out, but the way the Baby K’tan is designed does a lot of the work for you by making the process more efficient. The manufacturer’s website offers videos showing how to put on the carrier and wear your baby in every carrying position, making life even easier for parents.
- Offers Front Outward Facing Carry
As your baby gets bigger, the front outward facing carry position is important – baby wants to interact with the world around them, and when they can’t, they’ll pull your hair, grab your earrings and generally let you know. The Baby K’tan original accommodates the front outward facing carry position, which is something a lot of longer wraps can not do safely. This gives bigger babies the freedom to see what’s going on and can the wearer’s life much easier.
- Stores Easily and Neatly
No matter what size Baby K’tan Original you have, it’s easy to store the wrap in the convertible carry bag. The bag doubles as the wrap’s waist support sash, so you’re never carrying around extra pieces you might lose. When the wrap goes back into its storage bag, it’s secure and compact – most large diaper bags and purses have plenty of room for it.
What Makes the Baby K’tan Original Carrier Better Than the Moby Evolution Wrap?
- The double loop and sash design makes wrapping a much neater and easier experience than with the Moby, which is one long strip of fabric
- Six sizes make it easy for parents to get their perfect fit, while the Moby is one size fits all and can feel bulky for some petite wearers
- You can use front outward facing carry with the Baby K’tan Original, but the Moby Evolution doesn’t allow it
- Unlike the somewhat bulky Moby Evolution, the Baby K’tan is small when placed inside its carry bag and fits easily into a diaper bag or large purse
- Check parent reviews on Amazon
Moby Evolution Wrap Mini Review
Moby Evolution Wrap(A Mini Overview)
Soft and comfortable, the Moby Evolution Wrap (check price on Amazon) is a cotton-blend, one size fits all wrap that many parents love. It is a long, one piece wrap that can be shared easily between wearers of different sizes without any straps, buckles or harnesses to adjust. You can use newborn carry, front inward facing carry and hip carry with the Moby. The breathable material keeps your baby comfortable, and it’s a long wrap, which means they can be bundled a little extra when it’s chilly. Lots of fun color and print options are exciting to moms who love to mix and match, and the wrap comes with a carrying bag for storage.
- Made of a soft, stretchy, breathable cotton blend that’s comfortable for you and your baby
- Extra color options allow parents to pick a wrap that’s perfect for their style
- Because it’s one size fits all, the wrap can be shared between parents, family and anyone who takes care of baby
- Longer wraps like this have more of a learning curve, so parents might need to practice before they get this quite right
- It does come with a carrying bag, but it can be somewhat bulky when stored and doesn’t fit easily in a diaper bag
- Because the fabric is long, it can be hard to wrap in public areas without the wrap dragging on the ground and picking up dirt
- Made of Stretchy, Breathable Cotton Blend
Any baby carrier you wear should be made of a comfortable fabric – uncomfortable, scratchy textures will annoy baby and irritate your skin. The breathable cotton blend of a Moby wrap is perfect for giving baby a temperature-controlled experience. In the Summer months, they won’t overheat and be uncomfortable, but this is a long enough wrap that they’ll still have plenty of extra bundling and warmth in Winter.
- Cute Color Options and Prints
Okay, so I admit that isn’t a “functional feature”, but it’s noteworthy. The Moby Evolution features 14 color and print options in a decent variety of styles – enough that most parents will find something they both agree upon, if not love. Variety is the spice of life, and a style range definitely matters if you’re looking for a specific aesthetic for your baby gear.
- One Size Fits All Wrap is Easy to Share
A wrap that can be shared between wearers is an ideal choice, and the Moby Evolution shines here. As a long fabric wrap, it’s wearable by pretty much everyone with room to spare. Although particularly petite or tall wearers might have an issue, the range is significant enough that it probably won’t be a concern.
What Makes the Moby Evolution Wrap Better Than the Baby K’tan Original Carrier?
- The fact that’s it’s a long, one size fits all wrap which is easy for sharing, unlike the specifically sized Baby K’tan wrap
- The Moby Evolution wrap has a lot of fun color and print options, while the Baby K’tan Original Carrier only has 5
- Check parent reviews on Amazon
Which Carrier is Right For You?
This is a tough choice. Both the Baby K’tan and the Moby have great features – the Moby is great for sharing between wearers, and the Baby K’tan is compact and super easy to use. I really like the Baby K’tan Original wrap (check price on Amazon) because most of the work is already done for me and wrapping the kiddo is simple. Once we’re ready for some free range toddling, the wrap fits in the diaper bag – no muss, no fuss. The right wrap for you, of course, is the one that meets the needs of you and your baby. Now that you know the facts, you have the power to make the best pick for you.