Choosing a baby name with positive associations is at the heart of many parents’ naming decisions; those who draw naming inspiration from Hindu astrology, also called Jyotisha, have a unique set of guidelines to follow. Each Hindu astrological sign is associated with a grouping of letters and syllables which, when used at the beginning of a child’s name, are considered to increase positive vibrations and shape a child’s mind and thoughts for the better.
Babies born between August 23rd and September 22nd fall under the Kanya astrological sign; in Western astrology, its counterpart is Virgo. Names that begin with Shr and Sr are among those considered to be fortuitous choices for your Kanya baby.
Looking for a sweet Sri or Shri name for your little girl? Let’s take a look.
Sri and Shri names and Vedic astrology
Within Hindu astrology, also called Vedic astrology, babies arriving between January 20th and February 18th are born under the Kanya zodiac sign, which is represented by a virginal girl. This is similar to its Western astrological counterpart, Virgo, represented by a maiden. The ties between the two astrological traditions are considered by some scholars to be rooted in mutual Hellenic influence, though many Indian astrological scholars assert that Vedic astrology developed organically and without influence.
Babies born under the sign of Kanya are considered to be thoughtful, calm, and slow to act or speak. They are said to consider their behavior carefully, use caution when making decisions, and are reserved in their dealings with others. They tend toward pragmatism in matters of justice and conflict.
Additionally, “Sri” is another name for the wife of Lord Vishnu, the Goddess Lakshmi. Thus, many female names beginning in Sri are a reference to the Goddess. “Shri” is also an alternate name for Lord Ganesha, who may also be referenced in Sri and Shri name meanings along with his father, Lord Shiva.
Hindu girls baby names
- Shria – Beauty; wealth; prosperity
- Shrim – Another name for the Goddess Lakshmi; good fortune
- Shrida – Fortune bestowed by Goddess Lakshmi
- Shrija – Beautiful; the sister of Guru Nanak
- Shrika – Prosperity; wealth; good fortune
- Shrilu – Luster; beauty; grace
- Shrima – The mother of wealth; fortunate
- Shrita – Another name for Goddess Lakshmi
- Shrivi – One who is devoted to Lord Shiva
- Shridhi – Achievement; prosperity; gain
- Shrikha – Another name for Goddess Lakshmi; Fortune
- Shrisha – The power of God; Goddess Lakshmi
- Shristi – The entire world; the universe
- Shriddhi – Prosperity; achievement; gains
- Shri – A goddess; a divine mother
- Sri – Goddess Lakshmi; diffusing light; radiance
- Sriji – The daughter of Goddess Lakshmi
- Srini – Daughter of Goddess Lakshmi; queen; love
- Sripu – Flowers which are devoted to god
- Sriani – The daughter of Goddess Lakshmi
- Srijan – Happiness; love; creation
- Srisha – Goddess; creation; divine light
- Sristi – Mother earth; creation; world
- Sritha – A name referring to the Goddess Lakshmi
- Srilata – A thin branch from a Jasmine tree