If you’re a parent looking for a baby name thought to bring positive vibes and good thoughts to your new arrival, you might be considering a name inspired by Jyotisha, or Hindu astrological tradition. Within Hindu astrology, your baby’s zodiac sign determines what name is thought to attract positivity and healthy growth; each sign has a set of letters which, when used at the beginning of a child’s name, are thought to be auspicious.
If your baby is born between August 23rd and September 22nd, they’re considered a Kanya within Vedic astrology (or a Virgo within Western astrology). Names beginning with Sr and Shr are considered to be among the best choices for Kanya babies within Jyotisha tradition.
Ready to learn more?
Sri and Shri names and Vedic astrology
Within the Hindu astrological tradition, children born between January 20 and February 18 fall under the Kanya zodiac sign. The sign is represented by a “virgin girl”; its western counterpart, Virgo, is also represented by a maiden, or virginal woman. Shared Hellenic influence is thought by some scholars to be at the root of this connection, while others argue the likelihood that Vedic astrology developed organically on its own.
People with the Kanya zodiac sign are thought to be calm and thoughtful, taking their time to consider words and actions before proceeding. They are said to take caution and are reserved both personally and professionally, and are pragmatic in matters of conflict and justice.
Sri is also a Sanskrit name for the Goddess Lakshmi, wife of Lord Vishnu. It is not uncommon to see both referenced in the meanings of Sri and Shri names, in addition to Lord Shiva, who is part of the Trimurti with Lord Vishnu. Shri is also one of the names of Lord Ganesha, god of prosperity and son of Shiva, whose name may also be referenced.
Hindu boys baby names
- Shri – Meaning: Love; Wealth; Respect
- Shrida – Referring to Lord Kuber; someone who bestows wealth
- Shriji – A name for the God Shrinathji
- Shrish – One of Lord Vishnu’s names
- Shriiyu – The best, prosperity, auspicious
- Shrihas – Having a beautiful smile; the home of Lord Vishnu
- Shrijai – A name of Lord Ganesha
- Shrijit – A personality that is always victorious
- Shrimay – Referring to Lord Vishnu; wealthy
- Shrinij – Relating to Laxmi; close to money
- Shrinit – Respected within the rules
- Shripad – Referring to Lord Datta
- Shritej – The glory of the Goddess Laxmi
- Shrival – An original name of the God Shreehari
- Shriyan – A name for Lord Vishnu; famed; wealthy; highly blessed
- Shrikara – One who makes or gives wealth
- Sri – Loyalty, wealth, respect, God
- Srish – Referring to Lord Vishnu or Lord Shiva
- Srihan – Referring to Lord Vishnu; Handsome
- Srijan – Evolution; creation; construction
- Srijay – A name for Lord Ganesha
- Srikar – A name for Lord Vishnu or Lord Shiva; to cause prosperity
- Sriman – One possessed by the wealth of Yoga; wealthy
- Srinik – One who has a strong desire to succeed
- Sriraj – Referring to Lord Vishnu; one with a great personality